Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Puh-MIN-a Cheese (aka Pimento Cheese)

My friend, Weatherly, had a small party and gave all the guests a container of homemade pimento cheese (also spelled pimiento). (What a hostess! Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?) It was delicious. I have always struggled with pimento cheese, because I LOVE it, and it's so simple, but hard to master. I have played around with Weatherly's recipe, and here's what I use now. We recently were invited to a cookout, and I brought pimento cheese to put on burgers and hotdogs (yum!). John and I also LOVE to eat grilled pimento cheese sandwiches - made just like a grilled cheese, but with . . . you know . . . pimento cheese!



4 oz. white sharp cheddar cheese, shredded  (I use cabot or kraft)
4 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
1- 7oz. jar Sliced or Diced pimentos (drained)
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper (or to taste)
1/2 cup Mayonnaise (I use Blue Plate)
2 oz Cream Cheese - Philadelphia Brand
Salt & Pepper

Place cream cheese and mayonnaise in Cuisinart.  Blend. Add cayenne pepper, salt & pepper. Blend. Add grated cheese. Blend. Fold in the drained pimento by hand, not by Cuisinart. Refrigerate to blend flavors.

And for sandwiches, spread on Pepperidge Farm very thin white and / or wheat. Cut off the crusts, cut into triangles and serve. To make ahead, put the sandwiches on a platter, cover with waxed paper, then cover with a damp kitchen towel. You can then put more waxed paper or saran wrap over this and refrigerate.

1 comment:

  1. mmm....that looks good!!! What about the flank steak you did

    ReplyDelete