Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Gingerbread Men!


My dad has a thing for gingerbread cake, but for me, it's gingerbread cookies - no matter what the shape. This recipe was the one that made me take the leap . . . oh so long ago . . . to signing in to a recipe website so I could save my recipes. Thanks to my friend and neighbor, Renee for sharing it with me!

(Before you get started, just know that you'll have to chill for an hour.)



Eileen's Spicy Gingerbread Men (Originally found on Allrecipes.com.)

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup molasses
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves

Cream together the butter and sugar. (I just use a wooden spoon.) Add egg yolk and molasses until well blended.


In a separate bowl, combine flour and remaining spices. (Aren't those colors pretty?)


Dump into the molasses mixture and stir until well blended.


 Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 



Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. (I am no expert at dough thickness but these cookies are delicious no matter what the thickness.)



Cut into shapes with cookie cutters and bake 8-10 minutes. (Go by time and not look, because the dough is brown, so if it gets any browner, they're burned!

(Isnt' that the cutest little reindeer head you've ever seen?)

Remove to cool on a wire rack. Decorate if you wish. I am usually too excited to eat them to bother with icing. My Brownie troop gobbled these up!

No comments:

Post a Comment