Monday, October 19, 2009

Mmmmm . . . Oatmeal


If you've spent much time around me, you know that I have oatmeal every day. I can be somewhat particular (ha!) so here's how to make oatmeal MY way.


You must have Quaker Old Fashioned Oats. At least around here, the choices are somewhat limited. I've tried store brand rolled oats, but they're really more along the same caliber as Quaker Quick Oats. I even convinced my father-in-law, who is also an oatmeal aficionado, to make the switch. I use equal parts water, milk (2%), and oatmeal. My usual is to start with 2 cups water & 2 cups milk. Start this in a pot over high heat. Once it gets pretty hot (but not boiling, as milk doesn't really boil well), you add 2 cups oatmeal. Turn it down to low and let it simmer.

The thing about oatmeal, is that you have to stop it from cooking before you *think* you should. I have no idea how long I cook mine, as I never time it. But if I had to guess, I'd say it was longer than the 5 minutes the box says, but probably less than 10 minutes.

I cook 2 cups at a time so I can easily reheat oatmeal the next day an not have to use the stove every day, although the fresh oatmeal is the best. So, here's how to doctor it up.

I ladle it into my bowl - about half full (3 scoops from my 2 ounce ladle). I add a pat of butter, sliced strawberries, about 1/4 cup golden raisins (trader joe's are delicious & cheaper than grocery ones), 1/4 cup walnut pieces (sam's and trader joe's are MUCH cheaper than grocery), blueberries (if in season), 2 kid spoonfuls of brown sugar, and top it off with milk. I like my oatmeal kind of soupy as opposed to thick, but that's a matter of choice.

That's all! Leroy now makes his presence known gently when he sees I've finished my oatmeal, because I let him lick the bowl. I'm kind of anxious to have my cholesterol tested now that I've been eating this every day for the past year or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment