Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I'm a pancake snob




I remember as a kid, it was considered a treat for my dad to take us to McDonald's for breakfast. I HATED it. I couldn't stand the consistency of the pancakes, especially since they sat on that foam plate. I cringe even now thinking about the way the knife felt as it went through the pancake and onto the plate. I might as well have eaten the plate. Yuck!

And for most of my life, I have thought pancakes were WAY overrated - just too bready for me. The only way I'd eat them is if they had some sort of fruit or nuts - bananas, blueberries, pecans . . . But last year, I stumbled on the perfect pancake recipe - at least for me. I don't even need syrup on them - just butter & powdered sugar.

I made these for Frances's half birthday this morning, at her request. I prepped a lot of it last night to make the morning go more smoothly.

2 cups flour
4 tsp sugar (which also equals 1 Tbs plus 1 tsp)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Whisk these together and make a well in the center.

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk (I use 2%)

Pour these two in a medium bowl. (Okay, so this recipe uses a lot of bowls.)

Melt 1/2 stick butter (unsalted - Land O'Lakes) 1 minutes @ 50% power in a small bowl.

Separate 2 eggs in ANOTHER bowl. (I use the Jaques & Julia method - just crack the eggs in a bowl and pick up the yolk with your fingers, letting the white fall through your fingers into the bowl.)

Put the yolks in with the melted butter and whisk to combine. Pour the whites into the buttermilk / milk bowl and whisk to combine. Then pour the egg/butter mixture into the milk/buttermilk/whites mixture and whisk that.

Pour the whole thing into the dry stuff and whisk gently until just combined. Heat a non-stick skillet on medium high until water skitters. Add a bit of vegetable oil around the pan. Ladle the batter in three spots around the pan.

Flip when golden.

Now those are REAL pancakes.

Serve with butter, powdered sugar, and REAL maple syrup.


1 comment:

  1. oh, Maggie you are the best mom! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete