Saturday, October 6, 2012

Yummy (Easy) Pulled Pork Barbecue

(I was reviewing posts I'd started and never finished when I found this one. Egads! How long has it been sitting here?)

Although I grew up in the South, I am embarrassed to admit that I was a about 13 or 14 before I had my first taste of pulled pork. I was with my friends, hanging out at the beach (DeBordieu, South Carolina) when my friend's family brought in  a big ol' side of pig. Holy moly! I couldn't believe how amazing it was. So peppery and vinegary. So incredible. I swore that if I were on my death bed, this was the only thing I'd order. Although I make no claim in duplicating that barbecue, I think this barbecue is pretty damn good. And who knew it could be so easy? I made it to take to a Jennifer's house for the superbowl tonight. (Um. I't obviously not Superbowl time. A forgotten post.) Julianne brought coleslaw. Mmm . . . it was so yummy!



6 pounds Boston Butt or Picnic Ham (I used Boston Butt, but I used 7.5 pounds 'cause that's what they had)

Dry Rub
3 Tbs coarsely ground black pepper
3 Tbs packed brown sugar
3 Tbs paprika
2 Tbs coarse salt
1 tsp cayenne

Mix the rub ingredients together in a small bowl. Cut the pork in two and place both pieces in a Dutch oven (or roasting pan or something like that). Rub the spices over the pork, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours (or more, over night, if you want).

Heat the over to 200 degrees and cook for 8 hours. (I happened to be up around midnight 'cause I was playing Lego Harry Potter on the Wii, so that made it easy to do overnight.)

In the morning (or 8 hours late) take the Dutch oven out of the oven (American oven?), transfer the pork to something contained (like a rimmed baking sheet or a brownie pan or platter) and shred it with two forks. Give the bone to the dog. (Leroy was most grateful.). Pour the pan juices over the meat.

(The original recipe says to brush the pork with the mop every 45 minutes, but if you're sleeping like I was, then skip this step. Just use the mop as a sauce at the end.)
 
(This picture is upside down. What'd I do?)

The Mop
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs coarsely ground black pepper
1 Tbs coarse salt
2 tsp vegetable oil

Mix together the mop ingredients (can be made ahead and refrigerated).

I'll have to peruse my old photos and find where I made this. But now that nights are getting cooler and football is on a lot at our house, I'll have to make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment