Thursday, February 28, 2013

Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy


I do this to myself; I know. I'm always trying to make every occasion FABULOUS. Well, when the girls have someone spend the night, we like to make a fun breakfast in the morning. (Crepes, pancakes, waffles, etc.) Somehow, somewhere, I heard of the idea for chocolate gravy.  I mean, aren't hot steamy biscuits enough? Not anymore.



I've also taken biscuits to a new level by making them different sizes. My usual Cooks Illustrated recipe makes 1 dozen tall fluffy buttermilk biscuits, but when you have your kids and your kids' friends around, you need to stretch them a bit. So I started using my cookie scoops. I use my large to make 12, my medium makes about 24, and the baby makes . . . I don't know . . . a bunch.


Now, for the gravy . . .

Chocolate Gravy

(I can't remember where I got the recipe . . . somewhere on the internet, but now it's just taped to the inside of my cupboard door, where I keep all great recipes.)

You can cut this recipe in half as well.

1/4 cup (or 4 Tbs) dutch processed cocoa (I find mine at Williams-Sonoma)
2 Tbs flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups whole milk (I just use mostly 2% and add a bit of half & half)
pinch salt

Combine in a small saucepan. Heat over low heat until bubbling and thickened.


Off heat add the last two ingredients.



4 Tbs unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla

It's terrific warm with biscuits. It thickens as it cools and the leftovers are great over ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment